Tennessee Valley Art Association
The Tennessee Valley Art Association seeks an innovative, experienced leader to plan and direct the operations of an established nonprofit arts organization. The TVAA provides art exhibitions, maintenance and enhancement of a permanent art collection, educational opportunities in the visual and performing arts for children, teenagers, and adults in the Tennessee Valley region, and the operation and management of a performing arts center that includes a community theater season and additional performances.
The executive director provides vision, leadership, and motivates the organization to adhere to the highest quality standards for the operation of the museum and performing arts center. The executive director is responsible for the overall management of the TVAA, for the achievement of its mission and financial stability. The executive director is a strategic planner who can work collaboratively with the board of directors, foundation board of directors, staff, and the community to advance the organization's efforts in the visual and performing arts, education, programming, development, communication, and community outreach.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required and a Master’s Degree is preferred, but not required. A successful candidate will have three to five years of demonstrated leadership experience.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and education.
This is a full-time exempt position. The executive director reports to a Board of Directors.
This position will remain open until filled.
Strategic Planning and Leadership
- Lead the Board of Directors and staff to create and implement strategic plans.
- Provide leadership in all areas of programming including exhibitions, acquisitions, performing arts, education, communications, fundraising and grant writing.
- Provide guidance for and oversee the implementation of adopted plans, policies, and programs.
- Analyze data and information to assess strengths and to identify areas for improvement with the goal of increasing impact and improving the TVAA brand and reputation.
- Monitor the effectiveness of all programs. Implement necessary modifications to programs.
- Provide effective leadership of the organization by active involvement in programs and services.
- Identify external and internal opportunities with special emphasis on leveraging relationships with community and funding leaders.
- Establish working relationships and partnerships with community groups and organizations.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the organization.
Operation and Finance
- Develop the annual operating budget, manage and control expenses, and provide accurate reporting of the financial position to the board of directors.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable IRS, state, federal laws, and local rules and regulations.
- Oversee and evaluate independent contractors.
- Hire all paid staff.
- Lead, coach, and develop staff, emphasizing close collaboration and a cooperative spirit. Engage the team to perform at high levels, with a focus on performance and capacity.
- Ensure the personnel policy is followed and that staff are appropriately educated on all policies and procedures.
- Participate in disciplinary proceedings and ensure that policies are followed.
- Provide support and guidance through staffing of all board, standing, and ad-hoc committees, and the executive committee.
- Maintain the official records of board meetings. Ensure the stewardship and maintenance of official documents and records.
- Continually inform the board of directors of key issues and challenges.
- Form a positive working relationship with each board member and support the board with new member development.
- Attend and support the Tennessee Valley Art Association Foundation for Endowment by attending meetings and keeping the official records of Foundation board meeting.
How to apply